Sunday, February 15, 2015
The Regal Peaches - Self Titled EP is Beautiful (starring Hannibal Buress and Lemley the Polar Bear)
The Regal Peaches out of LA just released their self titled EP. To say that the tightly woven pop songs are ebullient is a massive understatement. They are jammy as hell, progressive in spots, quirky for sure, and non-pretentiously upbeat. Their is a wide eyed fun to them. They are part well crafted hyper activity and part Elks Club bar band after copious amounts of Yuenglings. The thing is this, some of the mild mannered zany slant has (to me) an almost sitcom theme song quality. Let me be clear, this is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact the songs are full of catchy melodies, emotionally large, dig their happy nails into you and beg repeated listening (I cannot stop listening to Beautiful).
So, instead of a traditional review. Let's imagine if each of these songs were sitcom theme songs. What would the sitcoms be.....?
1. "Blame It On The Weather" coming this fall on ABC stars Fred Armisen about a guy in Boston, Mass who wakes up to find that the ugly thrift store sweater has fused permanently to his body and hilarity ensues.
2. "Chicago Typewriter" on HBO. A zany comedy starring Jack White and Jack Black as two Chicago Suns sports writers in 1964.
3. "Shiny Suns" on FOX. A romantic comedy starring Naomi Watts as a 46 year old nuclear physicist who falls head over heals for 36 Justin Long who is a produce manager at the local Publix.
4. "Standing In Line" coming this fall on CBS. Drama about the trials and tribulations of the 70's rock band Standing In Line as they battle record companies and drug addiction starring Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, Chris Parnell and Luke Wilson as "fudge boy"-
5. "Beautiful" coming this fall on NBC. An inspiring, heartwarming story of the bipolar polar bear Lemley and his hilarious caretaker Stanley played by Hannibal Buress.